28 January 2012

Career Prep -- Week Ending 28 Jan

It's been a grueling week--definitely productive and often fun, but grueling just the same. Outside of our official schoolwork, I've been focusing on getting a solid online presence--a website, a dedicated and up-to-date portfolio, and some extra work polishing these blogs. Hopefully I'll be able to make a good impression if potential employers seek out my credentials now.

In addition, I've been meeting with a couple other guys in the MGS, and we're narrowing down designs to determine a game that we'll be developing on our own. We've been tasked with independently bolstering our experience, portfolios, and professional endeavors, and I think this should do the trick.

In other news, our prototype is coming along. I've been working a ton on refining our development process and creating tools for everyone to track our progress efficiently, and we're on schedule for now. Besides that, I've been designing traps and levels for the game--definitely more fun than managing spreadsheets. It's great to be hands-on with the actual content of the game, and I hope that I'll be in a position to continue doing so once we move into full production on our elected theses.

Here's what I've done over the past seven days:

- Organized and led team meetings to hammer out process, design, and game flow details
- Contacted outside help to compose and produce music for the game (we're in negotiations right now)
- Researched, obtained, and played games with similar themes to learn what works and what doesn't for our game style; followed that research up with my own level and trap/tool designs
- Updated the game blog for aesthetics and content
- Updated the Scrum sheet continually and kept the team informed about our progress
- Researched Unity tools and scripts to help the engineers overcome some engine obstacles
- Created a sticky-note checkout system so team members can have physical tokens of their current tasks
- Designed (with documentation) traps/tools and levels to be implemented into the prototype
- Created signs with our slogan and game goal to post on all our team members' computers

It's been fun this week, and I feel like I've accomplished a great deal, both personally and as a member of an awesome team. Here's to a successful run next week!

- Troy

No comments:

Post a Comment