16 January 2012

Thesis on the Horizon -- Week Ending 14 Jan

The time has finally arrived for us to start the long and exciting process of developing our thesis games. This week was spent individually creating, refining, and pitching our own unique ideas to the faculty. Once they've considered all the ideas, they'll pick six to move forward into the prototyping phase. After a few weeks of prototyping, we'll make final pitches of what we've got to the faculty, the cohort, and a panel of industry professionals. Based on the feedback from all those groups (if I understand correctly), our faculty/committees will decided which two of the six are to become our official thesis projects. We'll be divided into two groups, and full production will begin!

Since I am bent on being a designer in some capacity on one of the games (my professional goal is to eventually become creative director of a studio), I spent a great deal of this week working on my own game pitch. Based on feedback from Roger, the implementation of my original idea changed fairly dramatically (I still like it, but I think my new one is a better fit for this project), but the core of the experience remains. Besides just refining the game design, I then spent a good chunk of time working on the one-page, AKA the pitch document. I deliberated for quite some time over how much specific information I wanted on it, how much art, what the layout should be, etc. In the end, I feel like it came out nicely, and I'm excited to see what the other students have done!

We'll find out during the coming week which six will become prototypes, but in the meantime, here are the relevant tasks I completed this week:

- As previously mentioned, I refined my game design with heavy emphasis on the concepts we discussed in design class last semester
- Created the one-page of that design for submission
- Worked through a number of tutorials on using Unity to understand its pipeline functions and get a better handle on how I can help both artists and engineers when using that engine
- Continued work on other game design projects for my personal portfolio and possibly later introduction to the cohort

I'm excited to see what the coming week brings. While I certainly hope that my design moves on to the next phase, I just can't wait to start work on our thesis. Game development is a blast!

- Troy

No comments:

Post a Comment