31 October 2011

A New Challenge -- Week Ending 29 Oct

I am one of three producers who volunteered to try our hands at an alternative project for the new round of prototypes. Of course, I use the term "prototypes" somewhat loosely this time around, because we are supposed to do our best to create a finished game in the 3-4 weeks that we have allotted.

The game is for a new, somewhat desperate client: the new Utah Museum of Natural History. Apparently, they had a game contracted that was supposed to be ready in time for their opening in mid November, but it fell through. They came to us with the emergency, and Roger said we'd accept the challenge.

And a challenge it is. It's overwhelming to think that we're supposed to produce a finished product in 3 weeks--and that if we do, this could be my first published game credit (second or third for some others on my team). Exciting, yet nerve-racking.

As a producer, however, I've felt more suited to the role in this project than any other so far. While I made plans, structure, and game designs on the previous project, this time I've really been involved in directly communicating needs (both ours and theirs) with external clients. It's been kind of fun feeling important enough to talk with the Director of Exhibits and Public Programs, Becky Menlove. Not that previous projects didn't make me feel like a "producer," per se, but this feels a bit more like I imagine it would in the industry.

My specific accomplishments this week are as follows:

- Established communication with Becky Menlove; she knows who I am, and we've exchanged a number of emails regarding the project
- Obtained research from BPI about resource management and water conservation that they conducted for the Museum
- Obtained templates and assets from the old game to ensure that our game aesthetics match those of the Museum in general
- Obtained technical information regarding the Museum's available computers, networks, and the exhibit's visual displays
- Shared all obtained information with my team, our Executive Producer, and the other producers creating games for the Museum
- Designed our game, along with Jesse, based on general concepts from the old game but with simplified, playable mechanics
- Held a meeting to establish how the artists and engineers could start the project for the week, even without a complete task/feature backlog

Like I mentioned, this is new territory for me, and I'm somewhat unsure of how to really get this thing off the ground, but I have confidence in the team I'm working with. I'll do my best, and if anyone can make this game happen, they can.

- Troy

No comments:

Post a Comment